Missouri Car Accident Specialists
An auto accident lawyer in Joplin, MO can help you obtain the compensation and closure you deserve if you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence.
Buchanan, Williams & O’Brien have been a trusted law firm serving Missourians for over 40 years.
- Committed to always treating clients with courtesy & respect
- Benefit from the unrivaled experience of our statewide team of lawyers
- Trust the proven success we’ve delivered to clients for decades
How Do You Know When to Contact a Car Accident Lawyer?
It’s always a good idea to contact a personal injury lawyer if your accident case is complex or if it resulted in injuries. That way, they can begin building a strong case for you.
You should contact an attorney immediately if any of the following applies to you or your case:
- The accident caused significant injury.
- The fault was not clear.
- The collision occurred in a school zone, a construction zone, or a work zone.
- If you disagree with anything on the police report.
- If the other driver did not have insurance.
- Anytime your insurance company offers confusing answers or there are liability concerns.
Do not wait to hire an attorney – the sooner you contact one, the better. The statute of limitations allows the injured party five years to file a claim. This may seem like plenty of time, but evidence can get lost or destroyed the longer you wait.
Even if you are unsure you want to file a claim or pursue a lawsuit, you should still contact an attorney, schedule and attend a free consultation, and discuss your case to see if you qualify to file a claim. At Buchanan, Williams & O’Brien, we work all personal injury claims on a contingency basis, meaning you pay nothing unless we win, so contacting our attorneys for an initial consultation is always risk-free.
Confused about auto accidents in Joplin? We are here to answer your questions.
Wrongful Death Car Accident Law Firm in Joplin, MO
People are involved in auto accidents every day, even though most do not attract media attention. This does not make them less tragic, especially if a fatality occurred.
At Buchanan, Williams & O’Brien, we are dedicated to representing the surviving family of individuals who have been killed in car accidents. While no amount of money will bring your loved one back, filing a wrongful death claim is often a key step in obtaining closure for your family.
When you entrust us to lead your pursuit of justice for your loved one, we will begin a wrongful death claim on your behalf to help you pursue compensation for damages such as lost income, loss of companionship, funeral expenses, and your loved one’s own pain and suffering. We may also be able to seek punitive damages, which are designed to punish the at-fault party and deter others from engaging in similar reckless actions in the future.
What to Do Before Contacting Our Car Accident Injury Lawyers
You may wonder what to do following a collision. While hiring an attorney is an important early step, there are a few things you should do before reaching out to us to improve your odds of a successful case:
- Safety first
- If the collision was minor, move all vehicles out of traffic and into a safe place.
- Turn off your vehicle and use the hazard lights.
- If you have them, use cones or road triangles.
- Get help
- Evaluate yourself for injuries and determine if you should call an ambulance.
- Even if the collision is not serious, call the police so they can make a report.
- Collect information
- Ask for the information of anyone involved. This should include:
- Driver’s and passenger’s names and phone numbers.
- Make, model, year of the vehicle.
- Driver’s license number and license plate numbers.
- Insurance companies and policy numbers.
- Eyewitnesses’ names and contact information.
- Accident scene location.
- Police officer’s name and badge number.
- If safe, take photos of the accident scene.
- Only sign documents for the police and your insurance agent.
- It is best to be polite, but do not take responsibility for the collision. Any admission of guilt can potentially sabotage your claim in the future.
- File a Claim
- You can file a claim at the scene. You will then have the option to add more details later.
- Contact your insurance agent the first chance you get.
- See your doctor
- Even if you feel fine and do not have any visible injuries, you should always get checked out by a medical professional as soon as possible after an accident. Many injuries are not obvious at first and may cause significant issues down the line, and catching and documenting them early can help strengthen your motor vehicle accident claim.
Once you have completed these steps, it is time to contact an attorney. You should reach out to a Joplin car accident lawyer as soon as possible following the collision, as this will give them more time to build a strong case and allow them to look over the evidence while it is still fresh. If you’re ready to begin your car accident claim with some of the top personal injury lawyers in Missouri, please contact Buchanan, Williams & O’Brien at (417) 623-0900 today for a free consultation. We look forward to assisting you.