A back injury at work is one of the most common types of workplace injuries. In these cases, workers compensation claims can be tricky because sometimes the cause of back pain, spinal pain, and/or pain radiating into the legs is clear from an MRI or diagnostic test. Sometimes it is not clear.
At Buchanan, Williams, & O’Brien Attorneys at Law, we recently settlement a back injury at work workers’ compensation claim that was significantly worse than the MRI findings indicated. Our client suffered a slip and fall at work that caused a serious injury to their lower back. When all was said and done, we were able to get a $132,500 settlement for our client.
Types of Back Injury at Work and Their Causes
Many different issues may result from a back injury at work. Some common work-related back injuries include:
- Bulging, herniated, and slipped discs
- Fractured vertebrae
- Muscle sprains or ligament tears
- Pinched nerves
- Spinal cord damage
The majority of back injury at work incidents are caused by overextension or twisting from heavy lifting, pulling, pushing, or bad posture when sitting for extended periods. Incidents like falls and car or forklift accidents are also common causes of back injury at work.
Back injury at work may come from one act, such as lifting something that is too big, or by a slow, continual strain on back muscles, ligaments, and discs in your spinal cord. Repetitive motions can finally cause your spine to weaken or becoming strained. Back injury at work tends to be painful and need lengthy treatment and recovery time, so it is important you contact a workers compensation attorney in Missouri to assist you in getting the financial support you need to manage your injury.
What To Do If You Experience Back Injury At Work
If you have suffered a back injury at work in Missouri, you are eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. Workers compensation benefits are meant to cover your medical treatment as well as a percentage of your lost wages. The exact amount you receive will vary depending on the severity of your injury, how long you are out of work, and other factors.
When a back injury at work occurs, follow these steps:
- Request Immediate Medical Assistance. If you experience a sudden back injury at work, seek medical care right away. Don’t try to work through the pain. Your back injury could be made worse if you carry on working. If your boss suggests to calling an ambulance or sending you to the company nurse, do what they say. It is risky to wait and see whether your back will feel better in a couple of days because insurance companies can use a delay in seeking medical care against you in your claim.
- Report the Incident Promptly and in Detail. The workers’ comp process starts by when you report your injury to your employer. Of course, if you are severely injured or hospitalized, then you might be incapable of completing the reporting paperwork until later on. However, fill out a report as soon as possible since there are time requirements mandated by workers compensation law.
- Visit a company-approved doctor. After reporting your injury, your employer will give you a listing of company-approved doctors. Be aware that your regular physician may not be on the company’s list. In order to receive workers compensation, it is required that you are assessed by an approved care provider.
In order to receive the full extent of workers compensation benefits you are due, contact BWO, workers compensation attorneys in Missouri with over 40 years of experience. Our attorneys will fight for you to get the money you need to cover all expenses related to your back injury at work. Amazing customer service is what makes BWO stand out in the rest. It is our commitment you will always be treated with courtesy and respect and never feel pressured. For 40+ years now, BWO has dedicated itself to assisting our clients in every way we can, however big or small the issue could be. BWO has the commitment to its clients, the experience, and the proven results that will help you now!
Missouri workers compensation cases are centrally handled by Charles Buchanan, along with Andrew Buchanan who together possesses over 60 years of experience working on workers comp cases. Learn more about our experience and results with Workers Compensation cases in Missouri:
- Workers Compensation Attorneys
- Missouri Workers Compensation Guide
- Workers Comp Missouri
- $1,000,000 Workers Comp Settlement
- Appeals Court Win in Workers Comp Case
- Workers Comp Case Earns Large Interest Award
- Greater Protection for Injured Workers in Missouri
- $250,000 in Workers Compensation Benefits to Widow
- $132,500 for Client In Slip and Fall at Work Settlements
- Workers’ Compensation Retaliation Claim Ends Successfully
- $175,000 For Injured Employee In Arachnoiditis Case
- $1.09 Million Settlement in Worker’s Compensation Case
- $760,000 Accident at Workplace Settlement
- $462,000 Settlement For BWO Client With Injured Back
- $255,000 for BWO Client Injured at Work in Missouri
- $210,000 for Client Injured in Forklift Accident in Missouri
- BWO Client Gets $65,000 for Work Comp Discrimination
- Great Result for Injured Truck Driver After Collision